cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:21:47 GMT
Le Lundi, 24 mars 2003, à 14:45 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :

> ...Right. I'll commit a dist target today to show you what I mean and
> we'll vote from that, ok?

Way to go - this will help us make a better decision, and it doesn't
prevent making binary dists later on if needed.

> ...do you seriously think that javawebstart is more available than
> javac for out *average* cocoon uses?...

A super-easy install (with java web start for example) is probably
irrelevant for average users, but might help a lot in *selling* Cocoon,
for example to
project-leaders-who-understand-some-of-this-stuff-but-not-much.

But maybe that's a different concern and we need to provide a very easy
demo distribution *in addition to* what you envision. This can be done
later on anyway.

It also depends on whether we have dependencies on specific JDK
versions in the build - it could be much easier to handle these in
WebStart than in a command-line environment for people having few
command-line skills, IMHO.

> ...It's not about how many things you have to do to see the samples!
> It's about how many things you have to do before being able to see
> *YOUR* stuff running on Cocoon....

Again it depends who you're talking to, most probably everyone on this
list has a different picture in mind when we say "users".

-Bertrand