cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs disruption
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:49:12 GMT

On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 02:59  AM, David Crossley wrote:

<snip />

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Diana Shannon wrote:
>
>>> For example, current forrest build capability with cocoon's cvs
>>> is only possible with Forrest CVS, not the last Forrest release.
>>> This violates your "building on sand" philosophy.
>
> I am not sure what you mean here Diana, it is working now.

I'm not saying it isn't working. I'm saying the **only** reason it works
now is because we are using a cvs-based version of an outside project,
not a released version. Stefano recently stated in:
   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104619931816392&w=2
    "never commit code that depends on non-released stuff"
and I'm just pointing out that we are doing that here.

<snip />

> Stephan and others have done one excellent step: getting Forrest
> to process the Cocoon docs as they are now (DTD v1.0). Going to
> the next stage is what Diana is rightly concerned about.
>
>> All right. Since there is circular dependency between cocoon and
>> forrest, I would suggest we release cocoon 2.1 first, allow forrest to
>> release a new version based on 2.1 and at that point forrestize our
>> docs.
>>
>> how does that sound?
>
> But this circular dependency will always be there, so why not
> just get on with it. Anyway, Forrest uses a recent stable
> version of cocoon-2.1-dev, i.e. just off the bleeding-edge.

I agree we should get on with it too, as long as we don't break existing
doc build capability. I think we should rely on the cvs version only for
this transition stage. In the future, I don't want the docs build
dependent on a cvs which from time to time will break. While the
responsiveness of Forrest committers is incredible, I think Stefano's
principle stated above is a best practice we should follow, especially
for something like doc building (given the fact users just want docs,
not necessarily the latest-greatest code which produces such docs).

Diana