cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs disruption
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:59:49 GMT

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 11:13  AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>> Perhaps it's just the nature of open source software, that a
>> tremendous amount of energy is unleashed right before a release date.
>> Perhaps there's no other way. Still, it feels, to be honest, like poor
>> planning. If we follow the maxim of "release early, release often" I
>> fail to see why there needs to be this kind of disruption before
>> releases. If the releases weren't spaced so far apart, what difference
>> would it make if we need to wait a little longer for some new
>> capability?
>
> This is a very good point. So, do you suggest to postpone
> forrestization for post-2.1? say for 2.1.1?

Not necessarily. It depends on how much time we still have. And
forrestization can occur in stages.

For example, current forrest build capability with cocoon's cvs is ony
possible with Forrest CVS, not the last Forrest release. This violates
your "building on sand" philosophy. We can change our cvs to work with
0.4 Forrest, but it involves committing doc-v11 versions of many files
and deciding what to do with doc-v10-related files. If we simply
eliminate the doc-v10 files, we will break the separate doc-building
capabilities of our webapp documentation set. If we keep both versions,
we have a maintenance nightmare. This is being discussed on cocoon-docs,
with debate on how/if to include Forrest itself in our cvs, but there's
no consensus yet, IMHO. Whatever solution is decided may take some time
and tweaking to implement, that's all. And I would hate for it to hold
up a release.

We have a list of outstanding issues, some already outdated by recent
activity, posted at
   http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ForrestProposal

Ongoing thanks to Jeff and Stephan for their work to date on this.

Diana