cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Suhail M Ahmed <ilya...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Jetty performance....
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:22:06 GMT
Hi

On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 06:27  PM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 7/3/03 18:14, "Antonio Gallardo" <agallardo@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
> wrote:

>>> Well, it's not really related to Cocoon... Cocoon ships with Jetty
>>> for
>>> its "build run" environment, nothing that I would run on a production
>>> (or even development server).
>>
>> The point here is how we can get most from Jetty. I know that Cocoon
>> is
>> not Jetty, but including Jetty into Cocoon is promoting the use of
>> Jetty.
>
> Antonio, no, you got it all around! :-) :-) Including Jetty in Cocoon
> is
> promoting the use of Cocoon! I explain, you donwload Cocoon, and now
> it's
> quite a big fella, the CVS checkout, tarred and gzipped is something
> around
> the lines of 28 megabytes.
>
> If to play around with it, and see that you like it, you have to
> download
> another package, the servlet container, which is an EXTRA 6.5
> megabytes of
> tar.gz in case of tomcat, or 5.7 megabytes in case of Jetty (not much
> difference in the "official" distributions, huh?) you'll get _severely_
> upset, also because, considering that once you've downloaded it, you
> have to
> figure out HOW you're going to make the two work together.

there is an old maxim about how you cannot please everybody. I for one
am not pleased with Jetty because I now have two containers sitting on
my machine.  how different is typing .\catalina run from .\cocoon
servlet? The fact that you have to copy a war file from your build
directory to the webapp directory? Jetty (or any other bundled web
container) would make sense for those developers who have no knowledge
of servlet containers and are interested only in cocoon. Personally I
just want a war file.

> In the documentation, nowhere, you'll see that Jetty is the
> "preferred" way
> of running Cocoon.

On a humorous note, I guess that what Microsoft said about IE when they
bundled that browser ;-)

Cheers
Suhail