cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [rant] Re: [vote] micro-decision for docs: creation of cocoon-docs CVS module
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:26:54 GMT

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 10:34  AM, Steven Noels wrote:

>>> My own belly tells me that people will write more and better user
>>> documentation if they get some proper playground. Having to worry
>>> about code sitting right beside their documents will not bring peace
>>> in their minds.
>> Ok, please, explain to me why the cocoon CVS module is not a proper
>> playground for people writing docs because I don't understand.

A few Belly Thoughts:

+ Consider what we are about to implement in 2.1. Forrest generates our
web site and docs, based on the contents of xdocs. What if docs people
want to experiment? How can we do that if the place where docs live,
next to code, it automatically considered final by our publishing
mechanism. Therefore, all experiments either break the automatic
publishing or get published to the web (which we may not want).

+ What about prototyping new doc approaches, like reference pages for
logicsheets, as Andrew recently proposed. What if we need some special
jar for that, something totally related to docs, not the cvs. Where
shall we put it? Bloat the code repo for docs-only needs? Put it in
Forrest? Well, what if it's outside the "concern" of Forrest or we don't
want to wait for Forrest -- e.g. experiment a little internally?

+ CMS issues, already raised in previous posts.

+ What if we start some global docs transition, say based on adding
Dublin Core data, etc. What if we have only a partial set of docs
changed over. Wouldn't a docs module, with an experimental/head branch,
be a great place for this collaboration?

Diana