cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Snapshot links at Cocoon website
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:31:10 GMT

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 05:32  AM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>> I suggest linking to http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/mirror.cgi#nightly
>> but
>> I guess that's your intention ;-)
>
> Yes, but at that point we'll have to re-build the site once again...

Ok, we shouldn't be so limited in rebuilding the site as often as
necessary. Here's why it has been tedious and time consuming in the
past, at least for me.

1. Many, many committers weren't updating release and head branches with
their doc updates. It took time to scrutinize differences in the
branches, to make sure all relevant docs were in the release branch,
which is what is used to generate the web site.

2. Updating the live site repository is time consuming, at least for me,
on a slow dial-up connection (I live in a rural area of the US with no
broadband option). The api docs directory is the time killer here. I
spent eight hours, one night, simply performing a cvs update followed by
a cvs commit. The most recent update wasn't so bad. The commit/update
took only 2.5 hours.

3. I was really excited about Forrest transition, thinking the
automation would save me all of the above time which I could devote to
docs content. Unfortunately:
- only a few committers participated in the trial run, so it seemed to
me, interest/support is not that great.
- Forresters seemed to suggest, and I could be wrong, that the live site
cvs update would **still** be required even with Forrest. Thus, I failed
to see how the transition would make my volunteer committer life any
more liberated, since this time killing step was still necessary.

I'm happy to help with updating the site based on the revised cvs mirror
links discussed in this thread. However, I can't do it until later this
week. In the future, I think it's better if more committers would share
the burden of updating the live site cvs every now and then,
particularly those with greater bandwidth connections. In the hopes that
this will happen, I'll post detailed instructions on how this can be
done on wiki. (I've posted email instructions on two separate occasions
in the past which I will now fine tune.)

Diana