cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:43:38 GMT
Le Dimanche, 23 mars 2003, à 15:25 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :

> Before you jump up and down and scream "no, no, binaries are easier
> for our users", get off your
> life-without-a-compiler-windows-inflicted-mindset and think that every
> JDK comes with a compiler.

Technically, I'm with you all the way but *psychologically* and from a
marketing point of view I'd be -1 on making a source-only distribution.
IMHO this would only reinforce the feeling that Cocoon is meant for
bearded unix gurus.

I know many people who would be very afraid of having to *compile*
Cocoon before using it, maybe for fear that it would recompile their
desktop into KDE at the same time ;-)

I think Nicola is right about the need to distribute a full-blown .war
file (for life-without-a-compiler users) and a .jar (for other projects
that use Cocoon).

<snip the-rest-sounds-fine-to-me/>

-Bertrand