cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:23:42 GMT
At 12:11 PM 3/25/2003, you wrote:

> > > So I whould like a solution there we offer a source distribution, and
> > > binary distribution with a war, which includes all samples, and one
>clean
> > > war. So the user can first download the bin-dist, test all samples,
> > > and experimentalize with the clean webapp. And then he is glad and want
> > > more, he can download the source-dist.
> >
> > I'm still strongly in favor of a single distribution with a very simple,
> > short yet very well documented INSTALL.txt file.
> >
> > Stefano.

<snip what="very useful perspective"/>

>See where I am going here? This is what (IMHO) most of new cocoon users are
>like. We are experienced developers..... but chances are we won't be java
>aware.... so the idea of two extra binaries will, i think slow down the time
>it takes to get productive.
>
>There is one point that keeps coming up in this thread.
>
>Cocoon is not an app.
>It is a framework.
>
>Sorry for yapping so much on the dev-list, but i think this is really
>important :)
>
>JD

As one who had yapped on the dev list when I probably shouldn't have, I
think you're providing very important perspective.  You are the exact kind
of person I've seen a lot on users - experienced web developer, but with
experience that doesn't always help in cocoon.

And, it's always great to see people moving toward java from php! (oh boy,
gonna get slammed by someone for that!)

Geoff