cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - Cocoon
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:04:54 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> In other words the code in cocoondev.org _really_ is Rhino (+
> continuations), not something different, but just an earlier snapshot.
> The fact that it still has the same name reflects this. To me (as
> someone who has contributed to Rhino) it would be a bigger insult to
> change the name.

I not only have Stefano's concern, I have another: configuration
management and version control.  Xalan and Batik each have support for
Mozilla's version of Rhino.  Both can productively be used with Cocoon.
  When things go wrong, who will be in a position to debug the result?
I realize that some people believe that fancy class loaders are the
answer to all the worlds problems, but there are some cases where it
simply is better to avoid the problem altogether.

Working harder to get the changes back into Mozilla's Rhino is the ideal
path.  Failing that, renaming the codebase seems to be the next best
solution.

IMHO.

- Sam Ruby