cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] XMLForm as a standalone servlet toolkit
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:28:32 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> Let me explain, maybe the goodwill will prevail.
>> Otherwise this will turn into another example of a sad finish of an
>> exciting
>> jorney.
>

> <snip/>
>
> I am sure goodwill is a main reason but some question come to my mind
>
> *) why don't you wanna share your thoughts with us and let us
>    (or at least some of us) together steer the direction of XMLForms?
>
> *) how do you wanna contribute back? this might become harder as
>    we currently might think. the "standalone version" thing really
>    points that way.
>
> *) project and communication wise this might give an unwanted
>    perspective that XMLForm might not be maintained under the
>    cocoon umbrella anymore. not a good marketing...
>
> *) why don't you go the scratchpad way?
>

>> Now, let's do some constructive talking.
>>
>> You probably remember the endless threads that were started in the
>> last few
>> months regarding the complexity of Cocoon and the fact that it
>> continuously
>> misses its release dates.
>> I am only refering to them to point out that not everything is perfect
>> around here.
>>
>> More specificly:
>> As it stands XMLForm is way behind the XForms standards.
>

> Is that the main reason for this - you wanna catch up with the XForms
> standard?
>
> <snip/>
>
>> So, Stefano, since you have your PMC chairman hat on, tell me if we can
>> create an incubator project.
>> I will gladly commit the new code to it.
>> If not, what other options do you suggest.
>

> At least *I* honstely don't see a good reason for XMLForm becoming it's
> own Apache project - sorry.
>
> Why not scratchpad?

I fully agree with the above.

Ivelin, if you have some ideas about XMLForm, why don't you want to
discuss them here ?

Also, one of the purpose of blocks is to allow different areas of Cocoon
to have different levels of maturity : a block can be marked as
alpha/unstable. So why not working with the community in an "XMLForm2"
block ?

XMLForm is an important new feature in 2.1, and many people already use
it. So let's make it better together here.

What I foresee if you fork it is that Cocoon's XMLForm will evolve
quickly in response to its user feedback, while you will be let alone on
your side with your fork with no community to provide you features and
enhancements. Is this what you want ?

Sylvain