cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - Cocoon
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:37:00 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm more and more concerned about the fact that we are, in fact, forking
> rhyno and calling it with the same name, this is a very bad practice,
> it's very close to steal visibility.
>
> Am I the only one bothered by this?
>
> Stefano.

This is my point of view: I don't have any desire to "fork" Rhino. We've
  done it because we have no choice. As you can see for yourself in the
Rhino codebase on cocoondev.org, I haven't modified the original code
except to add support for continuations (in a separate package), and to
fix a few bugs. I would like to merge the continuations support back
into the mozilla cvs and that is also acceptable to the Rhino
committers. The only problem is that the Rhino code itself in the
Mozilla cvs has so drastically changed in the last 12 months that it is
a large job to merge, and I don't have the time to do it.

In other words the code in cocoondev.org _really_ is Rhino (+
continuations), not something different, but just an earlier snapshot.
The fact that it still has the same name reflects this. To me (as
someone who has contributed to Rhino) it would be a bigger insult to
change the name.

Regards,

Chris