cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] XMLForm as a standalone servlet toolkit
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:41:42 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I have looked at the code you distribute and you are in clear violation
> of the ASF license and the ASF guidelines for these reasons:

OK, I don't want to delve into whether Ivelin's move is right or not
from a community POV (but yes, I do share Steven and Torsten's
concerns). This email sounds a bit too much like a threat to me, while I
tend to assume that Ivelin was and is in good faith and unwilling to
hurt anyone.

Anyway, since you are making a point on legal stuff, with my lawyer hat
on, I'm afraid that either I misunderstood at all the Apache license or
you're just wrong when you say:

> 2) you are distributing ASF-copyrighted code from outside the ASF
> infrastructure.

I don't see what is the problem here: do you mean that I can't
distribute Cocoon, or HTTPD, or Tomcat on my very own FTP server? Why
that? Since when? The Apache license looks pretty clear to me when it
comes to freedom to redistribute stuff and indeed I don't see why and
how this can be seen as a violation. And if that's a violation, well...
I guess that there are plenty of Internet resources that are

As per package names, well... I guess it's questionable: I'm not sure
that articles 4 and 5 cover even package names: actually one might say
that *taking away* "org.apache" from the package name is a licence
violation since it's a way to hide where the software comes from. OTOH,
keeping those names might be confusing so I don't really know where to
stand. For sure it's not polite and savy, but I'm not dead sure that
it's illegal (meaning defendable in court).

What am I missing?

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.