cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Forrestizing Cocoon and more
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:08:39 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Stephan Michels wrote:
>>
>>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>So, at the end, here is what I propose:
>>
>>1) we remove all the old docs targets from the build
>

> To remove the "build docs" target, i agree.
> To remove the webapp docs generation, i do not agree.

Ok.

>>2) documentation will be done thru forrest. This requires forrest be
>>available on the machine separately. since users won't update the
>>documentation this should not be a problem.
>

> But we do want to encourage the users to update doco and send
> patches. So i would not use them as an excuse.

I'm not finding excuses, David, I'm trying to move this shit forward and
the dependencies between cocoon and forrest are *SO* interconnected that
I could not find a solution to the problem.

Moreover, to be honest, I think that we should aim to improve
forrest/lenya and make it a structured wiki and setup a CMS and point
users to that for editing.

that's the only way they can help up writing docs because our current
xdocs-patch workflow is too much a stinking pain in the ass.

>>3) we ship the pregenerated documentation in the distribution and we
>>ship along the xml source files. if the documentation is included in the
>>webapp cocoon will simply *read* them (not process them as right now).
>

> Why would you want many megabytes of generated docs
> in the cvs? This seems to defeat the purpose of Cocoon.
> Surely there is a way for Cocoon to continue to generate
> its own doco via its webapp.

yes, there is: ship forrest skins and xml/xslt machinery with cocoon.

> We had some discussion about that on cocoon-docs
> but there did not seem to be any followup.
>  Re: Stages of Forrest Transition
>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-docs&m=104847388622334

ok

>>4) this breaks the flow samples that depend on those stylesheets but
>>they are going to be refactored anyway, so don't worry.
>>
>>5) finally, remove all the doc-generation stylesheets from the CVS
>>
>>what do you think?
>

> That an xml framework that needs to deliver pre-built
> documentation is an old hack.

I agree, but any other solution would leave to a duplication of effort
between cocoon and forrest and I'm not sure this is worth the hackiness
of shipping prebuilt docs.

Stefano.