cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [rant] Re: [vote] micro-decision for docs: creation of cocoon-docs CVS module
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:12:48 GMT
Andrew Savory wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>I want a serious CMS, damn it! with a dead-simple (not xopus!) inline
>>editor on top! and using CVS as a repository! and transforming
>>structured text in xdocs with perfect roundtripping!
>
> +1 from me! I do think having a cocoon-docs CVS would help rather than
> hinder this though, as we could easily allow updating of the documentation
> with no danger that any of the code might be attacked by an errant CMS.

Yes, I was thinking exactly this when I changed my vote, even if I don't
think that the apache infrastructure will ever allow a CMS to become
*committer* to the CVS repository.

however, separating documents from code in different modules, would
allow (in theory, at least) to setup a CMS that has commit priviledges
only on the documentation module, thus leaving the code fully protected
from potential exploits of the CMS.

If there is *one* single change of having such CMS cleared by our
infrastructure team, separating the modules will sure increase this
chance, not reduce it.

This is, IMO, the biggest argument in favor of such a separation.

Stefano.