cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Forrestizing Cocoon and more
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:49:47 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>As I think most of the people here knows, Forrest is a Cocoon spin-off
>>project that focuses on static-snapshots of publishing-intensive web
>>sites with complex needs.
>>
>>Cocoon now self-generates its own static website, but given the amount
>>of time/effort/energy that has gone into Forrest since it was created, I
>>think it only makes sense if Cocoon moves its documentation system onto
>>forrest.
>>                                     - o -
>>
>>This said, here are the actions you should vote:
>>
>>  1) cocoon moves to forrest for its documentation production
>>
>>  2) if so, cocoon does it before releasing 2.1
>>
>>  3) if so, I'd like a 'fast-yet-potentially-disruptive' move rather
>>than a 'slow-yet-carefully-planned-not-to-disrupt-anything' one.
>

> It's seems that we have a consensus here. So what to do? Does it mean
> that we will concentrate us on the samples? Shipping only a samples
> webapp, producing the docs with separate installation of Forrest?

Yes, I would think so.

My plan would be to ship the distributio with the documentation already
produced as HTML and maybe include that into the webapp.

> If we upgrade the docs to v11 we will break the orginal docs target.

right and I don't want us to maintain two indipendent skins.

> Or does anyone have a other solution?
>
> BTW, that does save us much effort for maintaining the doc generation
> process.

that's exactly the goal.

So, at the end, here is what I propose:

1) we remove all the old docs targets from the build

2) documentation will be done thru forrest. This requires forrest be
available on the machine separately. since users won't update the
documentation this should not be a problem.

3) we ship the pregenerated documentation in the distribution and we
ship along the xml source files. if the documentation is included in the
webapp cocoon will simply *read* them (not process them as right now).

4) this breaks the flow samples that depend on those stylesheets but
they are going to be refactored anyway, so don't worry.

5) finally, remove all the doc-generation stylesheets from the CVS

what do you think?