cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:41:44 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 24/03/2003 15:28 Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>> I for one think the 'copy cocoon.war into webapps dir and look at
>>> http://server:port/cocoon/' paradigm helps a lot of newcoming users
>>> up & running very fast.
>>

>> please, define 'be up and running'.
>

> Not knowing about javac, ant, and whatelse, just doing a simple
> filecopy, and still be greeted with 'welcome to cocoon'. There's a lot
> of apps who get distributed that way.

Granted. Unfortunately, cocoon is not an app.

Therefore, 'up and running' doesn't mean 'being able to run it', but
'being able to have my stuff run inside of it'.

We are using a distribution paradign used for webapps and I think this
is harming us more than it's helping us.

>> I'm asking because I'm starting to wonder if this is the case.
>
> No Stefano, you should not wonder. However, we are all projecting
> comments we hear in our private hemisphere as the 'overall
> appreciation', much of it being based on our own assumptions however.

True, this is why I've asked to work incrementally, starting with a
build-based distribution.

> Then again, responding against user complaints is easier than inventing
> from scratch a new build/dist system which makes both our and the user's
> life easier. So let's get over with this, and see what the users think.
> They've been kept out of the loop for too long.

All right. Deal.

Stefano.