cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [rant] Re: [vote] micro-decision for docs: creation of cocoon-docs CVS module
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:34:54 GMT
On 24/03/2003 16:09 Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

(About pointy tags: send over your p-Book and I'll install XXE for you.
XXE reminds me of why I am so reluctant to believe browser-based widgets
will never be able to edit anything else but semantically poor
(X)HTML-like fragments)

>> My own belly tells me that people will write more and better user
>> documentation if they get some proper playground. Having to worry
>> about code sitting right beside their documents will not bring peace
>> in their minds.
>

> Ok, please, explain to me why the cocoon CVS module is not a proper
> playground for people writing docs because I don't understand.

1) up to lately, the docs target has been failing on quite some occasions.
2) up to lately, the 'requirement' (?) to sync branches brought even
more relunctancy.
3) there's too much documentation already (!): people prefer a
clean-sheet approach (look at the Wiki, and don't think all of it is
'draft' or 'playground') - particularly on the entry level
documentation/trails
4) up to lately, the entire Cocoon CVS module was needed to work on
documentation. Now, people could possibly check-out only
src/documentation and work on that using a binary install of Forrest.
5) (minor) some of the docs can hardly be concerned authorative
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/tutorial/index.html) and should not be in
Cocoon CVS

All in all, most of my playground them has to do with it 'being vacant',
rather than technics or tools.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org