cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:42:36 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 24/03/2003 15.23:

> Nicola, in a perfect world, we would have totally isolated dynamic
> blocks with a super block manager and totally run-time hot-deployable
> stuff.
> In that case, we would *NOT* need a source distro at all because people
> would be able to tune their stuff without having to run a silly
> XConfTool all over the place to patch a massive amount of xml files.
> Unfortunately, this is not the case.

ACK. But how much is needed to make this happen? I don't have energy and
time to do it and follow it (ie debug, discuss, check), but the code
changes don't seem that big, as prior assesment done on this list.

> So, right now, if we ship a binary, we ship a monolithyc black box.

> on the other hand, if we release a *build-based* configurer/installer (I
> don't call it 'source distro' anymore because you people get blinded by
> that word and don't seem to really see about what I'm saying),
> those
> million xconftool patches are done for you and you can tune your cocoon
> for what you really need without futher hassle and no black-box-ish
> feeling.
> In the future, when we have a more modern run-time driven (instead of
> build-time driven) block model, we'll move to binary based distros (with
> the power of WORA which is always nice), but for 2.1 I don't see the
> benefit of shipping one huge binary blackbox and tell people to download
> the source distro if they really want to tune their stuff.

Ok, couldn't you say this before? ;-P

It seemed like "let's kill binary distros for Cocoon", but here I see a
roadmap that seems more than sensible.

> Because nobody will do it and our effort to build a tuneable build
> system will be totally wasted.

Ok then, what about this:

1 - make a single distro
2 - export also cocoon.jar
3 - we make Forrest also export a .war in the distros
4 - we link to Forrest for a Cocoon exmaple webapp
5 - we will switch to a built version for the distro in the future

SOC from a distro level ;-)

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -