cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:28:20 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 24/03/2003 14:01 Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Great! Do others think this is worth doing?
>

> Possible, sure. Worth doing, I really don't know.

I won't vote against it but I won't help it making it happen.

> Related to this thread:
>
> I for one think the 'copy cocoon.war into webapps dir and look at
> http://server:port/cocoon/' paradigm helps a lot of newcoming users up &
> running very fast.

please, define 'be up and running'.

> Even the Jetty path, as nice as it seems for us
> developers, might unfortunately not be of much use for them since their
> IT department wants them to deploy on XXX appserver anyhow.

./build.sh war

the difference between the above and a prebuild war is that the above
can be tuned for my needs with little effort (just modify the
blocks.properties) while the prebuild war requires cocoon gurus to
remove stuff because of all the inner dependencies and the thousands
jars we ship.

> And although in general, I agree on the principle of Cocoon really is a
> _framework_ for developers, reality tells me it is actively used by
> people who _don't_ want to program in order to do Java/XML-based websites.

Am I the only one who heard complains about cocoon being very cool but
too hard to 'tune down' to simpler needs?

I'm asking because I'm starting to wonder if this is the case.

<puzzled/>

Stefano.