cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:22:26 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 24/03/2003 12.21:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> I'm sure that if we don't give our users a sample precompiled version
>> it will have a really negative impact on the alpha-view of Cocoon and
>> stop many from checking it out, whatever technical motive you may have.
>
> I *strongly* disagree.

Why may I ask?

When I browse project on SF based on web stuff, if I find a precompiled
jar I shove it in Tomcat and test it. If not, I usually pass by.

AFAIK many do so, and when I tell the ones I know to get the source
cocoon distro, they start to whine and don't do it.

This is what I see, my small part of the world, so take it as MHO based
on what I see, nothing else.

>> It's not a technical point, if it were only so we would be doing
>> releases by just tagging CVS probably.
>
> I don't like your tone.

I think you are misunderstanding my tone (and honestly I don't
understand why you don't like it).

I really think that CVS should be the only way of getting source
distros, and with SVN it will be easier (WebDAV access). The developers
should all see the same thing, and VCS is the only way of having
consistent views. If a dev needs to send a patch, he doesn't have to
download other stuff for example.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -