cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clean up build system
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:08:07 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:

>>>And then PURITY.txt?
>>
>>This is my try to get people into cleaning up their mess.
>>
>>It is the dump of the cut/paste discovery tool. Since it normally takes
>>5/6 hours to do a normal cut/paste discovery on coocon-dev, I left it
>>there so that people might realize how much *cut/paste* was done inside
>>Cocoon.
>

> What's the goal of this 'cut/paste discovery tool', I don't know it :-/

when you resort of doing cut/paste in your code is because your OO
design is bad and should be refactored.

lack of cut/paste doesn't measure the quality of your object
orientation, but the amount of cut/paste tokens *DOES* measure the lack
of purity of your OO solutions.

checkout

http://pmd.sourceforge.net/cpd.html

I'm normally not a great fan of automatic code metrics (the stuff that
Maven generates, is, IMHO, useless crap), but the PMD project has very
interesting ideas and CPD is one of them. Too bad is slow as hell!

So, people, take a look at PURITY.txt and feel ashamed :)

>>but I think nobody really cares. as for unit tests. which is a very bad
>>thing :/
>

> So you don't have objections, if I add a test target for blocks ;-)

No objection whatsoever!

Stefano.