cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:14:14 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 24 March 2003 02:08, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 23/03/2003 15.25:
>>
>>>What do you think?
>>
>>+1 for the source distro.
>

> I agree, except...
>

>>As for the binary distro, we simply never did one really. What I'd like
>>to see is
>>
>>   cocoon-full.war
>

> no need, IMHO.
>
> BUT, a cocoon-sample.war would be great for "Introduction". I.e. Download
> that, drop it in your servlet container, and you have Cocoon's samples
> running. I'm sure "build process" scares away some users instinctively,
> especially the "life-without-a-compiler-windows-inflicted-mindset" (potential
> cocoon) users.
> If we then have a page describing how to build the "samples", it would again
> lower the "perceived complexity" a bit, allowing the "newcomer" to build it
> to ease confidence. Call it "microstep learning", as it is the best way...

Hmmm, I was thinking about adding build profiles the other day..
something like:

  ./build.sh --profile=[profile] webapp

that will override the build properties from

  [profile].properties

that include several different configuration properties that drive stuff
like

  - inclusion/exclusion of stuff from the webapp
  - development/production version (debug on/off, security low/high)

and stuff like that.

What do you think?

Stefano.