cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] micro-decision for docs: creation of cocoon-docs CVS module
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:18:53 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 24/03/2003 10.13:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:31:39AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>In order to get one little step closer to the 'new' document
>>infrastructure, many of us seek clarity whether we should move docs to a
>>separate CVS module or not. The benefits and downfalls are largely
>>known, so let's vote on this and get this issue cleared.
>>
>>My own personal bias: don't forget the different Cocoon _versions_ are
>>now stored in separate modules, too.
>>
>>Please cast your vote:
>>

>   [  ]  creation of cocoon-docs module
>   [+1]  docs should stay in src/documentation of the code tree module(s)

For me

[+1]  docs should stay in src/documentation of the code tree module(s)

> Because:
>
> - With a separate cocoon-docs module, I don't see how the various
>   code-related files (status.xml, jars.xml) are obtained.
>
> - Making a separate doc module kills outright any future efforts to
>   generate docs directly from code (e.g. a component manual).
>
> - I think that by default, doc changes should only apply to one codebase
>   (2.0 or 2.1).  There are many differences that are *meant* to be there,
>   that could get lost if 2.0 and 2.1 docs are generated from a common
>   source.

I agree with all the above.

I want to remember that Avalon has decided to keep an avalon-site
module, but only for the *site*, not the documentation.

Is there a difference? Sure, we just forgot about it till now :->

The site keeps basic design point, the infos for the users
(contributing, mailing lists, etc), and basically anything that is not
related to product documentation.

I'd be +0 for that, but else the docs should be where the code is (and
javadocs are even nearer).

             - verba volant, scripta manent -