cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] a new kind of 'dist'
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:08:04 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 23/03/2003 15.25:
> So, in light of the good old triad
>
>  ./configure; make; make install
>
> I propose to ship Cocoon 2.1 *AS IS*, sort of a cleaned-up version of
> our current CVS and improve a little the 'INSTALL.txt' doc that will
> suggest you to do
>
>  $> ./build.sh
>  $> ./cocoon.sh servlet
>
> and voila', that was it! or, if you really want to deploy stuff into
> your wervlet container do a simple
>
>  $> ./build.sh war
>
> and you are done.

For the source distro, I think that it should be exactly as a CVS
snapshot. That's the "source", and BTW how we decided that Centipede
should make source distros.

> And next step, when you want to tune your distribution for your needs
> simply do
>
>  $> cp build.properties local.build.properties
>  $> cp blocks.properties local.blocks.properties
>
> then edit them, then
>
>  $> ./build.sh clean
>  $> ./build.sh
>  $> ./servlet.sh servlet-admin &

A bit too klunky (as simple as it is) for the users that we include Ant
in the distro for (laaazzy buts).

- Make that the local dir properties are created automatically if not
present at each run.
- That a clean is always done with the basic build.sh.
- ok

> so you can start/stop/restart your cocoon without having to star/stop
> jetty from the command line.
>
> What do you think?

+1 for the source distro.

As for the binary distro, we simply never did one really. What I'd like
to see is

   cocoon-full.war

a war that works OOTB and contains all features. If we don't need to add
the roles in cocoon.jar (this is a plight for someone to do the required
microstep), we can just have users delete that parts they don't want. A
quick system for making people evaluate Cocoon and see what it's about.

Finally, we really should remember to deliver a

   cocoon.jar

file, so that build tools like Ant, Maven and Ruper (@see
repository@apache.org discussions) can download it without getting all
the distro.