cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [vote] Forrestizing Cocoon and more
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:38:40 GMT
As I think most of the people here knows, Forrest is a Cocoon spin-off
project that focuses on static-snapshots of publishing-intensive web
sites with complex needs.

Cocoon now self-generates its own static website, but given the amount
of time/effort/energy that has gone into Forrest since it was created, I
think it only makes sense if Cocoon moves its documentation system onto
forrest.

Here are the pro/cons:

- CON: potential disruptive transition period: this means that until
forrestization is done, people might not be able to generate docs out of
CVS.

- CON: circular dependency: cocoon will depend on forrest and forrest
will depend on cocoon.

NOTE: the circular dependency is on the whole process but *NOT* on code!
There is no code in cocoon that depends on code in Forrest and this will
never happen! So, there is no circular dependency issue if we separate
completely code compilation with documentation production. As it will be
done with Gump and Forrestbot doing different tasks.

- PRO: more modern and actively maintained skin/sitemap/tuned-cocoon.xconf

- PRO: out-of-the-box print-friendlyness (removes the need for a special
printer-docs target in our build system)

- PRO: potential future integration with inline-editing solutions that
would ease the passage to the 'holy grail' structured-wiki concept.

- PRO: easy integration with forrestbot, thus: easy (and fast!) inverted
web publishing.

The only potentially annoying thing is the fact that Forrest and Cocoon
might get out of synch, thus forcing us to ship a special cocoon.jar
*inside* our distribution so that forrest is happy about generating our
docs.

But I think that once we have Gump running and as long as the two
communities are so responsive to one another, I think this is not going
to happen, but will rather force both communities to work in synch.

                                     - o -

This said, here are the actions you should vote:

  1) cocoon moves to forrest for its documentation production

  2) if so, cocoon does it before releasing 2.1

  3) if so, I'd like a 'fast-yet-potentially-disruptive' move rather
than a 'slow-yet-carefully-planned-not-to-disrupt-anything' one.

I vote +1 to all three. And I also volunteer to help.

Please, place your vote.

Stefano.