cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Problem with JPetStore
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:28:09 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Christopher Oliver wrote:
>>

>>>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>>

>><snip/>

>>>No, there shouldn't be any difference. If there is, it's a bug. What
>>>was your test?
>>>

>>From http://www.forerunners.org/WebLibrary/jscript/ch09_03.htm :
>
> The basic rule in JavaScript is this: primitive types are manipulated by
>value, and reference types, as the name suggests, are manipulated by
>reference. Numbers and Booleans are primitive types in
>JavaScript--primitive because the consist of nothing more than a small
>fixed number of bytes, bytes that are very easily manipulated at the low
>(primitive) levels of the JavaScript interpreter. On the other hand,
>objects and arrays are reference types. These data types can contain
>arbitrary numbers of properties or elements, and so can be of arbitrary
>size, and cannot be so easily manipulated. Since object and array values
>can become quite large, it doesn't make sense to manipulate these types by
>value, which could involve the inefficient copying and comparing of large
>amounts of memory.
>
>AFAIK, that's just like Java.

Christopher says that Rhino makes no difference between "object" types
and primitive types. Now if we consider primitive types as being
represented like the immutable objectified Java primitive types
(Integer, Boolean, etc), there's not much difference between passing an
immutable object by reference and a real primitive type by value.

But that's nitcpicking ;-)

Sylvain