cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:14:57 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> The problem with having an environment-dependent serializer is that the
> cache needs access to it because it might change its behavior depending
> on environment parameters.

IIRC, the reason why serializers are "special" WRT cache stuff is
exactly this (i.e. circular reasoning alarm sounding): they are not
depending on the environment, and they act as blackboxes.

OTOH, the environment-dependent serializer will need to provide the
right Validity for the cache and that's it. Am I wrong?

It looks to me that the issues are mostly potential abuse/Separation of
Concerns, and I think they are obsolete by now:

* People could write pipelines of just generation ->
specialSerializerForMyUncleBrowser, subverting the whole architecture
(but they should not be using cocoon for this, there are simpler ways to
shoot yourself in the foot) ;-)
* Also, overoptimization in the cache layer (you wanted to asume
serializers are ergodic, to save the dual caching and avoid potential
performance problems, since some serializers *are* expensive)

> Stefano.

Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (

View raw message