cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Problem with JPetStore
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:26:16 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm playing and digging in flow-enabled petstore (BTW, so nice, I
>> love it), and experienced some problems with the
>> continutation-enabled prev/next navigation.
>>
>> To reproduce it, go to the "dogs" area, click "next" once and then
>> hit the browser's reload button. The prev and next links are now
>> totally screwed.
>>
>> Any ideas on what's going on ?
>

> Yep. It's a bug. Here's a fix:

Thanks :)

>> Moreover, AFAIU, the "productList" variable in viewCategory() is
>> stored in the continuation, and so if we hit "next" and then "prev",
>> the first list exists twice (in different continuations). Isn't there
>> a potential memory consumption problem ? I know continuations expire,
>> but withing the expiration delay, all these lists keep floating
>> around...
>>

> Yes, but the only things that are really duplicated are the program
> counter and stack frames, and even the stack itself is lazily copied.
> The local variables themselves (like productList) are shared between
> continuations.

What do you mean by "lazily copied" ? Doesn't it need to be actually
copied to be stored ?

Also, how can local variables be shared between continuations if their
value changes between calls to sendPageAndWait, as is the case of
producList ? Isn't it contradictory with the continuation concept which
should restore variable values ?

Sorry for these newbie questions. Is there any docs that explains all
this ? If found your post about JavaScript for Java programmers but it
doesn't give any details about this.

Also, how are handled global variables ? AFAIU calling createSession()
"attaches" them to the session, but what if createSession() isn't called ?

And what is the relationship between global variables and continuations ?

> That being said, it is still possible to explicitly free memory when a
> continuation is captured, using this extended JavaScript syntax:

<snip-example/>

Thanks for your explanations,
Sylvain