cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:23:39 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Paul Duffin wrote:
>> A problem that I ran into was that Serializers do not have access to
>> the environment (Request / Response). This means that it is very hard
>> to write sophisticated Serializers.
> For example? (I think FOP and batik are both pretty sofisticated
> serializers)

Well... not that much actually: they are both ~200 lines of Java code
and all they do is delegate to the underlying framework the XML events
grabbing an OutputStream to write to. Agreed, SLOC are a sloppy metric
but then again...

The real keyword, however, is not "sophisticated" in an algotithmic
sense but "context aware": if a Serializer is not a
SitemapModelComponent than there is no way it can decide based on
context, be it a Request or any other information. We've been through
this many times, and I wander from one side to the other so I have no
clear decision in mind...

>> We worked around this by using it in conjunction with a Transformer
>> that was given the environment and simply passed it on to the Serializer.
> The problem with having an environment-dependent serializer is that the
> cache needs access to it because it might change its behavior depending
> on environment parameters.

Can't parse this. Care to explain?

Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.