cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Discussion of Flow Issues
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:56:13 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Christopher Oliver wrote:

<snip/>

>> Only because of the design of XMLForm: it stores the form "view" in
>> the object model and several of the methods of
>> org.apache.cocoon.component.xmlform.Form require the object model as
>> a parameter.
>

> Ah, ok.
>
>> Regardless of the flow, there doesn't appear to be lot of consistency
>> in the way Cocoon components communicate: sometimes they stash stuff
>> in request parameters, sometimes in the session, sometimes in the
>> object model. In any case there seems to be no explicit contract,
>

> I'm all in favor of discussing the introduction of such explicit
> contract and make the system coherent. Do you have something in mind?

We have to define the various scopes of each of these elements :
- context attributes : global to the application (i.e. to all users)
- session attributes : per-user values, common to all requests for a user.
- request attributes : per-request values, common to all internal
requests (i.e. "cocoon:") used to handle an external request
- object model : nearly per-request values, "nearly" meaning for the
current request (be it internal or external) and all descendant internal
requests.

That being said, I don't know if XMLForm should use request or object
model...

Sylvain