cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:13:49 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 18/03/2003 10.37:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Serializers, in the real world I mean, not in theoretical abstrations,
>> are efectively fisrt class components, not just adapters. IMO they
>> should be treated as such, because there is no real concrete reason
>> IMHO why this lack of configurability continues till now, given that
>> we have real needs for it that are not effectively solvable by other
>> means.
>

> Everytime I real need emerges, the architecture must change to reflect
> the need.

of course

> I'm against changes that *DO* *NOT* reflect real needs but just lack of
> symmetry.

Again this symmetry thing...

> If you think this has changed, write a proposal.

When my personal need comes, I surely will, although now I have other
things to do. If others want to write a more detailed proposal (Luca for
example) please do.

The *real* fact is that if I do:

   xml data -> chart transformer -> batik -> png

It's 10x SLOWER than

   xml data -> chart serializer -> png

This is not peanuts, this is a real need. And the serializer should be
configurable as the chart transformer (same functionality).

Of course, we could make a transformer that creates a png image, puts it
in the context, and then a serializer serializes it, but it seems to
really stink.

So, how would you tackle the above real-world problem?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -