cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] fixing the encoding problems
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:19:05 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> On 17/3/03 20:15, "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>>

> <snip/>
>
>>> What about adding a 'content encoding' attribute to the 'pipeline'
>>> instead?
>>>

> 'transfer encoding' attribute would make sense, but content encoding...

wait wait wait

I'm using Pier's terminology here: for 'content encoding' I'm thinking
about 'gzip' stuff, not 'UTF-8'.

> Currently pipeline does not alter content, does not affect content.

Right.

> Addition of this attribute will bring content aspect to the pipeline
> concern... Do we really want it?

No, in fact, I think you got my terminology wrong.

I'm envisioning something like

  <map:pipeline encoding="gzip">
  </map:pipeline>

but I don't like "encoding", any idea for a better attribute?

>> Right now, to make things work in 99.9% of the cases, I'd say that we add
>> this to the pipeline, and right now, we enforce this onto the client.
>> So, no
>> matter what he asked in the different "Accept*" headers, we deliver them
>> what _we_ want...
>>

> Same could be done now with serializer configuration, right?
>

>> As negotiating the encoding/type/language is something that will also
>> affect
>> widely our cache, I propose to defer this to Cocoon 2.2 (or later)
>> when the
>> problem can be analyzed thoroughly in more details...
>>

> +1
>

>> Now, does anyone have suggestions on how to retrieve the "charset"
>> value out
>> of <map:pipeline> ??? Where would be a nice place in our API?
>>

> PipelineNodeBuilder. But I would postpone such a thing to Cocoon 2.2 too.

Right, we already have enough irons in the fire.

Stefano.