cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:43:58 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote, On 18/03/2003 3.52:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>> That gets the value out of the serializer configuration itself... So, per
>> se, we cannot have a per-pipeline text serializer with different
>> encodings
>> per different sitemaps...
>
> That's why we have to allow local serializer configuration :)

This thing that serializers cannot be configured is driving us mad.
Luca Morandini needs it because the serializer is doing the charts, and
this is 10 times faster than going through batik in the pipeline.

I second this, because my earlier experiments showed the same thing.

Serializers, in the real world I mean, not in theoretical abstrations,
are efectively fisrt class components, not just adapters. IMO they
should be treated as such, because there is no real concrete reason IMHO
why this lack of configurability continues till now, given that we have
real needs for it that are not effectively solvable by other means.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -