cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] fixing the encoding problems
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:01:56 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>On 17/3/03 20:15, "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

<snip/>

>>What about adding a 'content encoding' attribute to the 'pipeline' instead?

'transfer encoding' attribute would make sense, but content encoding...
Currently pipeline does not alter content, does not affect content.
Addition of this attribute will bring content aspect to the pipeline
concern... Do we really want it?

>Right now, to make things work in 99.9% of the cases, I'd say that we add
>this to the pipeline, and right now, we enforce this onto the client. So, no
>matter what he asked in the different "Accept*" headers, we deliver them
>what _we_ want...

Same could be done now with serializer configuration, right?

>As negotiating the encoding/type/language is something that will also affect
>widely our cache, I propose to defer this to Cocoon 2.2 (or later) when the
>problem can be analyzed thoroughly in more details...

+1

>Now, does anyone have suggestions on how to retrieve the "charset" value out
>of <map:pipeline> ??? Where would be a nice place in our API?

PipelineNodeBuilder. But I would postpone such a thing to Cocoon 2.2 too.

Vadim