cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Continuation in objectModel, Was: Discussion of Flow Issues
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:33:38 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> You may discourage usage of these objects for the sake of perfectness
>> of the MVC in the documentation but I don't think you should insist
>> on disabling access to them (like in FlowVelocityGenerator).
>>
>> Fair?
>

> I think you're right.
>
> JSTL seems to take the approach of exposing session, request, and
> application properties as "implicit objects" in its expression language.
>
> "The JSTL expression language defines a set of implicit objects"

<snip/>

> So, do you think the same can be done with the elements of the object
> model?

Umm... XSPs should be compared to JSPs, and yes, we already have set of
built-in objects (see any XSP java source file, or see XSPGenerator.java):

        /* Built-in parameters available for use */
        // context    - org.apache.cocoon.environment.Context
        // request    - org.apache.cocoon.environment.Request
        // response   - org.apache.cocoon.environment.Response
        // parameters - parameters defined in the sitemap
        // objectModel- java.util.Map
        // resolver   - org.apache.cocoon.environment.SourceResolver

The only thing which is missing is flow continuation and bean (new
kids), but these are provided by jpath logicsheet. And I can't built
them into core XSP because people want to separate flow into the block.

>     * pageScope - a Map that maps page-scoped attribute names to their
> values
>     * requestScope - a Map that maps request-scoped attribute names to
> their values
>     * sessionScope - a Map that maps session-scoped attribute names to
> their values
>     * applicationScope - a Map that maps application-scoped attribute
> names to their values

Sidenote: If you want scoped XML variables in XSP, take a look at xscript.

Vadim