cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Continuation in objectModel, Was: Discussion of Flow Issues
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:45:27 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Christopher Oliver wrote:
>>
>>> That's not the case. All are equally crippled ;) For example, when
>>> using  Xsp, the idea is that the only logic sheet you will ever use
>>> is the jpath logic sheet. This does not give you direct access to
>>> session, request, or context but only to the bean object. Likewise
>>> with XMLForm, you only have access to the bean itself.
>>

>> HUH?
>> /me extremely puzzled
>>

> Sorry, I'm not doing a better job explaining...

No, I understood what you said, I'm puzzled by the decision taken.

> Since you responded to it I guess you did read this:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103128978404439&w=2

I'll bookmark it :)

> I'm not saying anything different. To quote Ovidiu:
>
> "The above explains how MVC could be really achieved in Cocoon with the
> control flow layer. Note that there is no direct communication between
> Model and View, everything is directed by the Controller by passing to
> View a context object constructed from Model data. In a perfect world,

Usually, there is a problem with something "perfect" - it ends up dead ;-)
(i.e.: ideal is not achievable)

I've not thought a lot about
"flow-bean-only-controlled-data-generation", but from the short glance I
see that some of the existing Cocoon parts won't be easily integrated
with this approach. Thus, it's logical to assume that one should still
have access to request/session as one had it before.

You may discourage usage of these objects for the sake of perfectness of
the MVC in the documentation but I don't think you should insist on
disabling access to them (like in FlowVelocityGenerator).

Fair?

Vadim