cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Continuation in objectModel, Was: Discussion of Flow Issues
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 05:25:27 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Christopher Oliver wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>

>>> Here you will have to explain to me why: Why whould you want to pass
>>> *only* this "bean"?
>>

>> Because that is the "contract" between the flowscript and the
>> presentation layer.
>

> In Cocoon apps, presentation layer is usually XSL (and CSS) stylesheets.
> XSP pages or velocity templates should be used as data generation layer.
> In addition to these, there are ways to generate data out of XML:DB,
> CVS, simple XML files, directories, and remote sources; and ways to
> generate data using Transformers (not everybody likes XSPs), whole bunch
> of them.

What I refered to as the "presentation layer" includes generators as well.

>> Because when using the flow you maintain the application state in
>> JavaScript program variables.
>

> And javascript program variables can be stored as object in session:
>    WebContinuation w =
> session.getAttribute("org.apache.cocoon.flow.WebContinuation");

Yes, that's true but the flowscript author doesn't need to know about or
explicitly manage the session. He just calls

    cocoon.createSession();

and stores data in javascript variables.

> Essentially same is done for session-fw and xscript.
>

>>> And also, how you will access session-fw data if you won't pass
>>> session object? Same for xscript data and request/session/context
>>> objects?
>>

>> Not sure what you mean here. Can you explain?
>

> There is session-fw, originally part of the Cocoon Portal; if you want
> to use flow with portal you better have access to this session objects
> in "flow presentation layer". XScript is a logicsheet which is somewhat
> similar to session-fw, but with access to data from XSP, not from
> Transformers. Recenlty addition has been proposed to allow access to the
> session-fw from the XSPs too (session-fw logicsheet).

I did find this in the archives:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103149427903698&w=2

The author was having problems using flow with the Portal. I don't fully
understand the problem he experienced though.

Regards,

Chris