cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:09:56 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

> I restate:
>
> 1) I want a way for serializers to indicate to the pipeline what is
> the encoding they will be using, so that the pipeline can set the
> right HTTP header for it.
>
> 2) also, i want a way to overwrite the sitemap-wide behavior of every
> single serializers, locally, such as
>
>  <map:serialize encoding="UTF-8"/>
>
> when the global serializer configurations state they will be using
> something else.
>
> Is the proposal clear enough?

Sure ;-)

However, we also have to consider that serializers basically produce
binary data (e.g svg2png) for which the encoding has no meaning. So
should there be a new kind of serializers (TextSerializer ?) that gets a
Writer instead of an OutputStream ?

This would allow for the encoding to be handled directly and totally by
the pipeline engine, which would use the proper encoding to build the
TextSerializer's Writer.

Sylvain