cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:04:14 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Cocoon is heavily internationalized but we fail to do one thing:
>> signal the proper encoding to the user-agent thru HTTP headers, which
>> is the most reliable way of doing it.
>>
>> the current *hack* is to use <meta> tags in the HTML stream,
>
> Ew!

I know.

>> these are interpreted by the HTTP server stack and transfered as HTTP
>> headers. but this creates many problems and concern mixes.
>>
>> Vadim suggested to set the headers from the serializers, but I think
>> there is a better alternative.
>>
>> So I propose to add the method
>>
>>  getEncoding()
>>
>> to the interface
>>
>>  org.apache.cocoon.sitemap
>

> Why sitemap would ever know anything about encoding?

Ok, good question.

> There are two parts to the encoding problem: decoding incoming request
> and encoding outgoing response.

Right.

> Request encoding can be set by
> SetCharacterEncodingAction or by anything else via
> request.setCharacterEncoding() method. Or, every request parameter can
> be decoded independently. Response encoding directly depends on the
> encoding parameter set to the serializer from the sitemap.

yes.

> And, any of these are totally independent from the internationalization.
> Internationalization affects language used to produce output, but not
> how the text in this language is encoded (UTF8, UTF16, ISO-1859-1,
> what-have-you).

true. but you can't have chinese text in US-ASCII, right? my point is
that having globally-balanced hooks for encoding will allow cocoon to be
even more friendly for non-latin-charset needs. I used i18n out of
context here, sorry.

> So, if you to put encoding into sitemap... You will have to disable
> serializer configuration and request configuration and force sitemap
> encoding onto request / response. Is this what you are proposing?

nonononononooo

please, read again, my proposal, i think it's pretty clear.

> If
> yes... IMHO, it makes more sence to have this parameter of the pipeline
> but not whole sitemap.

I didn't propose that, where did you get that impression?

> But I am not convinced that it's sitemap's
> responsibility to worry about encoding (from SoC POV).

I restate:

1) I want a way for serializers to indicate to the pipeline what is the
encoding they will be using, so that the pipeline can set the right HTTP
header for it.

2) also, i want a way to overwrite the sitemap-wide behavior of every
single serializers, locally, such as

  <map:serialize encoding="UTF-8"/>

when the global serializer configurations state they will be using
something else.

Is the proposal clear enough?

Stefano.