cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] fixing the encoding problems
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:39:51 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Cocoon is heavily internationalized but we fail to do one thing:
> signal the proper encoding to the user-agent thru HTTP headers, which
> is the most reliable way of doing it.
>
> the current *hack* is to use <meta> tags in the HTML stream,

Ew!

> these are interpreted by the HTTP server stack and transfered as HTTP
> headers. but this creates many problems and concern mixes.
>
> Vadim suggested to set the headers from the serializers, but I think
> there is a better alternative.
>
> So I propose to add the method
>
>  getEncoding()
>
> to the interface
>
>  org.apache.cocoon.sitemap

Why sitemap would ever know anything about encoding?

There are two parts to the encoding problem: decoding incoming request
and encoding outgoing response. Request encoding can be set by
SetCharacterEncodingAction or by anything else via
request.setCharacterEncoding() method. Or, every request parameter can
be decoded independently. Response encoding directly depends on the
encoding parameter set to the serializer from the sitemap.

And, any of these are totally independent from the internationalization.
Internationalization affects language used to produce output, but not
how the text in this language is encoded (UTF8, UTF16, ISO-1859-1,
what-have-you).

So, if you to put encoding into sitemap... You will have to disable
serializer configuration and request configuration and force sitemap
encoding onto request / response. Is this what you are proposing? If
yes... IMHO, it makes more sence to have this parameter of the pipeline
but not whole sitemap. But I am not convinced that it's sitemap's
responsibility to worry about encoding (from SoC POV).

Vadim