cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Gump and CocoonDev
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:31:45 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> I've prep'ed cocoondev.org, and am nearly ready to try a full build.
> Preping involved installing the necessary packages [1], tailoring some
> of the paths in nagoya.xml to produce cocoondev.xml, and determining the
> appropriate value for JAVA_HOME.  I've done some limited testing,
> including running gen, update all, and individual builds of
> bootstrap-ant and ant.

Glad to hear that went well already.

> Before I do a full build, I would like to note a few things and ask a
> few questions.  Execution of a number of builds involve testing.  Some
> builds require Xvfb in order to work.  I notice that there is an
> instance of this process currently running: can I depend on that?  What

You should be able to depend on that, yes. Other processes do, too. Mine
is set to DISPLAY=:0.0

> should I set DISPLAY to?  Also a number of tests involve attempts to
> create test web servers.  Inevitably, this involves port 8080 which I
> note is currently in use.  This may be a problem.  Suggestions?

Ha. You should coordinate with Jeff. As far as I can see, the port is
not in use ATM but people can grab as they like, and Jeff habitually
runs Jetty from his homedir to test things.

> In order to minimize impact to others, builds will be run only once a
> day, and will utilize the "nice" command to allow all other processes to
> have priority.  Builds will be run during the late night hours in most
> European locations - the first portion of which will be mostly cvs
> update and local rsync, neither of which are CPU or memory intensive
> operations.  The builds themselves will be single threaded and run in a
> low priority as indicated above.

OK.

> Once this is accomplished, I'll look into two things: publishing the
> results and moving the data to a location where everybody with the
> ability to log onto cocoondev can do updates and builds of any and all
> individual projects in between nightly runs.  I fully expect people will
> find this ability to be very addictive and helpful in isolating and
> resolving inter component issues.

We need to discuss this, as I don't fully understand what that would
involve. In any case, I start to think this should be set up as a shared
resource. We use /usr/serverlocal for that, you'll see Jeff & I left
there some shared apps already. The document root for the visible
website is currently /www/gump.cocoondev.org/webapps/ROOT.

> Finally, I'll look into establishing a cocoon profile which does not
> include everything that gump normally builds, but only contains those
> elements which are part of the greater cocoon ecosystem.

:-D

> Steven, let me know what you think and if this is the wrong mailing list
> to discuss these items.

Looking good so far. This list is fine, if other people are not bored
too much with it.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org