cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Flow as a block
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:03:07 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 14 March 2003 22:01, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 14/03/2003 14.49:
>>
>>>But I would like to be able to build cocoon without them and prevent
>>>people with the ability to use them to solve their problems. Just like
>>>Carsten wants to do with the flow or XSP.
>>
>>That's not the reason IIUC.
>>Flow adds new dependencies to Cocoon as jars, actions do not. What is
>>the technical reason why actions have to be able to be removed?
>>
>>If you don't want to use them, don't. Since people will be able to
>>compile with the support in, they will do so, and you will not prevent
>>them to use actions (nor ATM it's desireable).
>

> Well, if you become a Cocoon hosting service, you may have a different opinion
> of what other people can do in their sitemaps.

That's for one.

But it's also for any product/service that I might want to build using
cocoon as the internal engine.

Just like I didn't vote -1 on the actions when they were proposed
because I didn't want to block the evolution of this project, I
appreciated the fact that people that disliked the flow approach didn't
vote -1 but now ask to be able to remove it.

I just ask the same freedom to remove support on my own builds for
things I don't like. Also to force myself to think at better solutions.

Note that they will be included by default, so this doesn't create any
back-compatibility issue whatsoever. It's just an additional freedom for
those of us who need to personalize their builds.

Stefano.