cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject (In)Dependence on servlet - (Re: [RT] Flow as a block)
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:44:44 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote, On 14/03/2003 8.23:
> Upayavira wrote_
>
>>>Do we have hard dependencies on servlet ? AFAIK we have some for those
>>>components that can't live without it (e.g. JSPGenerator), but are
>>>there others ?
>>
>>Try running the CLI without a reference to servlet-XXX.jar. It
>>fails whilst loading in
>>configs. I tried to work out why, but it was beyond my current
>>expertise (probably
>>because I don't have Avalon source installed). And the CLI
>>certainly shouldn't need to
>>know about servlet stuff.
>>

> Ah, that's bad - it did work without the servlet api some time ago.

Well, the fact is that some parts reference the CocoonServlet, and the
StreamGenerator is usable only on Servlets! Ok, this has already been
discussed, so I think we should get to a conclusion here.

Proposal:

1) move all environments in separate ./src/environments dirs, that each
generate a separate jar, exactly like the blocks are done ATM. In the
future the blocks will be runtime pluggable, while environments will
remain as static jars at load time.

2) add a methid to the Environmment to get a Stream from the request and
make the StreamGenerator use it. It's true that Requests can have
multiple streams, but I'll leave that case to a future discussion.

These two items will clearly show us the dependencies in our code, and
eventually lighten the dependency between our Enviroment implementations.

Does this sound reasonable?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -