cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build system - status of filtering
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:34:12 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 12/03/2003 17.27:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> If you want to do it, make the sub-build write the infos in a fiule,
>> and have the original build pock them up. Not pretty, but since Ant
>> has not decided to have "returns" from subbuilds, it's the only way to
>> do exactly what you want, the way you want.
>
> I don't see how this can possibly work for filters. but anyway.

http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/filter.html

"
   <filter filtersfile="deploy_env.properties"/>

will read all property entries from the deploy_env.properties file and
set these as filters.
"

If the child file writes the filters it wants in that file, the parent
can reuse them.

>> <target name="mytarget" depends="beforetarget,
>>                                  importedbuild.mytarget,
>>                                  aftertarget"/>
>>
>> So I can easily "decorate" the original target I imported.
>
> Ah, it's like calling super() in constructors?

Something like that, yes, and in fact it was called super before.
But you can also call other original targets, so you can have:

  <target name="mytarget" depends="beforetarget,
                                   importedbuild.mytarget,
                                   importedbuild.myothertarget,
                                   aftertarget"/>

The nice thing is that the redefined target still gets called by the
dependency chain, so that means that you also import dependency chains.

>>> anyway, thanks much for this info, it's really helpful.
>>
>> I hope so. It's all part of the things that came from Centipede to
>> make Ant better. We now have proposed Centipede to Ant, and I have
>> high hopes that we can get a nice act together.
>
> Good luck :)

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -