cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build system - status of filtering
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:03:23 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 12/03/2003 11.51:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 11/03/2003 19.53:

>>> Yes. the <filter> indications are now located in a build.xml file
>>> located inside the block. Unfortunately, it seems that ant is not
>>> able to retain the scope of those tasks when setup in a nested
>>> antcall target, even if intra-vm.
>>

>> <antcall> actually works like <ant>, and is completely reentrant.
>

> Right now I do the following:
>
> build.xml:
>
>   <ant inheritAll="true" inheritRefs="false" target="main"
> antfile="blocks/database/build.xml"/>
>   <copy filtering="on">
>   </copy>
>
> and  blocks/database/build.xml contains:
>
>   <target name="main">
>    <filter token="db_url" value="${webapp.samples.database.url}"/>
>   </target>
>
> but the filtering doesn't work.

Correct.

> I suspected this was because ant scopes
> the filter instantiations and removes them when exiting a subcall. Am I
> wrong?

<ant> calls another Ant on that build. When it's finished, it closes it.

In pseudo-code:

  Vector filters;

  new Ant(true, false, main, "blocks/database/build.xml");
  copy( "on", ...);

And in Ant(...)

  Ant(...){
    filters = new Vector();
    filters.add(new Filter(...));
  }

As you see, <ant> creates another Ant object. Everything that happens
there does not influence the caller.

If you want to do it, make the sub-build write the infos in a fiule, and
have the original build pock them up. Not pretty, but since Ant has not
decided to have "returns" from subbuilds, it's the only way to do
exactly what you want, the way you want.

>>> the ideal solution would be to give its block the ability to define
>>> its own build customizations, but ant doesn't have this 'inheritance'
>>> concept :/
>>
>> It does (at least in the version Cocoon is using IIRC), it's called
>> <import>
>
> Uh, awesome, didn't know that.

It was inserted in Ant after being made for and used in Centipede.

>> Make a base-block-build.xml file, with the basic block build stuff,
>> and in every block build do a import of that file.
>
> Really? Supercool!!! that would allow us to trash the XSLT generation of
> the uber-block-build. Is there documentation for the behavior of that
> task? Is it on 1.6-dev only? grrr, again dependent on unreleased stuff.

1.6 only. Yes, there is documentation in Ant CVS, and it has been
building with Gump for quite some time now.

> Why do we always have to have needs that are on the bleeding edge!! :(

Because we do things on the bleeding edge.

>> You can also redefine targets, and call the original targets by
>> prepending "projectname." to the target (where projectname is the
>> actual project name of the base build).
>
> Don't get it. Can you elaborate more?

If I define the target "mytarget" in importedbuild.xml, and import that
in build.xml, I can of course call mytarget from build.xml.

Then I want to add things to it, so I can redefine it. If I simply
create a target named "mytarget" in build.xml, that one takes
precedence. Exactly like when I redefine a method in a class that
extends another one.

Now, let's say that importedbuild.xml had a project name="importedbuild".

I can call the original mytarget in the redefined one as
"importedbuild.mytarget"

in build.xml

<target name="mytarget" depends="beforetarget,
                                  importedbuild.mytarget,
                                  aftertarget"/>

So I can easily "decorate" the original target I imported.

> anyway, thanks much for this info, it's really helpful.

I hope so. It's all part of the things that came from Centipede to make
Ant better. We now have proposed Centipede to Ant, and I have high hopes
that we can get a nice act together.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -