cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Snapshot links at Cocoon website
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:07:29 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> 2. Updating the live site repository is time consuming, at least for me,
> on a slow dial-up connection (I live in a rural area of the US with no
> broadband option). The api docs directory is the time killer here. I
> spent eight hours, one night, simply performing a cvs update followed by
> a cvs commit. The most recent update wasn't so bad. The commit/update
> took only 2.5 hours.

If you know things take time, you can nohup your processes, this way
they keep on running after logout. Another very nice tool is "screen".
It gives you virtual terminals inside your terminal emulator. In
addition, you can detach it and attach to it at will. Your commands
continue to run and their output is still on your screen when you
re-attach. Never do admin jobs without it ;-)

Chris.