cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: are we ready to move to cocoon.apache.org?
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:01:16 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Things to do will be:
>>
>>1) move the existing docs to the cocoon.apache.org virtualhost (please
>>note that the copyright year on the web site is old!)
>>
>>2) create permanent redirects from the old location to the new one (so
>>that no links are broken)
>>
>>anything else?
>

> I would move it in a slightly different way, that will help us to be more
> flexible wih the new/updated documentation for v2.1 comes out:
>
> 1) move /www/xml.apache.org/cocoon1/ to /www/cocoon.apache.org/v1.x/
>
> 2) setup permanent redirect from http://xml.apache.org/cocoon1/** to
>    http://cocoon.apache.org/v1.x/{1}
>
> 3) move /www/xml.apache.org/cocoon/ to /www/cocoon.apache.org/v2.0/
>
> 4) setup permanent redirect from http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/** to
>    http://cocoon.apache.org/v2.0/{1}
>
> 5) setup temporary redirect from http://cocoon.apache.org/ to
>    http://cocoon.apache.org/v2.0/ (this will be changed to redirect to
>    http://cocoon.apache.org/v2.1/ when we want to put live a new 2.1 based
>    website)
>    note that this redirect doesn't "redirect" the entire subtree (no ** and
>    no {1} in this one).
>
> 6) move the mirror.cgi and mirror.html fies to /www/cocoon.apache.org/ and
>    keep them as generic as possible for all our downloads (1.x, 2.x, ...)
>
> This should not break any link right now, and at the same time, it will
> allow us to grow beyond 2.0 (whilst keeping the old doccos on line and
> without having to move them as we did with 1.x)...
>
> And it will only take a few minutes to set up... Let me know if I should
> shoot for it...

I like it. But since URL space planning is a *very* serious issue, we
should do a real vote around this.

so, please, guys, place your vote.

NOTE: the vote reflects the URL space only, not how the documentation is
created/generate/updated, that will be discussed in a separate email
coming up next.

Stefano.