cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RF] Entropy Killed the Cat
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:14:28 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> but I maybe entirely wrong.
>
> if so, please let me know.

Let me be frank and open (and if I'm sure some people which I have been
mailing with concerning these matters will look surprised now about me
'switching sides'):

1) KISS: if you have something to say, say so. If Pier has something to
say, let him say so. Please don't speak up for each other since that
carries the connotation of off-list design and planning with it. Pier is
smart enough to talk for himself IMHO.

2) KISS: I've been known to fall into the same trap, but trying to
overcome a situation like this should not be done by analyzing and
answering each individual phrase of an email exchange. May I suggest to
add an extra step to your double-email-pattern: throw the first one away
and then start again with a blank screen

3) If remarks referring to some kind of polarization between commercial
vs voluntary contributions to Cocoon reappear on this list, I will need
to seriously rethink my appreciation of the genuine community sense on
this list. Such partisanship is detrimental at best. I know I made
reference to this on my blog last week, and I must say it feels rather
bad seeing that innocent blog become a prodigy
(http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/archives/000760.html).

You are not wrong but neither is Carsten nor Christopher, Matthew or
Ovidiu (to name just a few). Let's not try and find guilty people. Let's
try to adapt our speaking style so that everybody feels genuinely
comfortable on this list. Lately, we had one guy on cocoon-users who
morphed from a ranting know-it-all to a helpful debating Cocoon
enthusiast. If that guy was able to overcome his own tone of voice in
order to fit in better with the community, I'm pretty sure we can
slightly flex ours so that people don't need to overreact.

So much for the touchy-feely stuff. I think the refactoring of the build
is great but a major part is missing. At the least, some prior warning
would have been appreciated. If we held a vote however, I'm pretty sure
everbody votes +1 on keeping it. As far as the CVS reshuffling is
concerned, it's good to have the branches split out finally. The
coordination could have been better, but again: let's move forward
instead of looking back and analyzing stuff.

Please, let's keep the spirit high. There's so much nice things we can
do, together.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org