cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: validation of config during build (Was: Re: sitemap validation is broken)
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2003 09:03:31 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>> Looking at the history of sitemap-v06.rng, I can't see this has been
>>> happening a lot. Quite contrarily, some (myself included) have been
>>> advocating to relax it even further. But dropping it will
>>> effectively kill the small circle of people interested in
>>> maintaining such a thing.
>>>
>>> Reasonable?
>>

>> <read my lips> I AM NOT SUGGESTING TO DROP THE SCHEMA!!! </read my lips>
>>
>> is that clear enough? should I repeat it?
>>
>> I'm suggesting to remove the validation target from the build system
>> and improve the way treeprocessor handles errors.
>>
>> As I said, i don't care *how* this is done, as long as the error
>> messages that users receive are much more meaningful than those silly
>> "System ID no found" when an attribute name is wrong.
>

> I'm going to be stubborn about this: _if_ we drop the target (I was
> already aware of you not pushing to drop the schema, no problem here),
> then the few people who care about the schema won't be warned about
> required changes anymore.
>
> I don't see any relation between the grammar, where and when it should
> be used, and the lack of exception handling code in the tree processor.
>
> But since we are the only one who care to continue this thread, let's
> drop it. I'm going to check what Sylvain has to say about it.

Well, I thought I made it clear : although I've not considered the
technical details now, I would like to integrate schema-driven syntax
checks (I avoid the ambiguous "validation" word) _inside_ the
treeprocessor (i.e. at sitemap load-time) to be sure that the sitemap is
correct since we cannot assume each user will perform pre-runtime checks.

The technical details I'm referring to are how we can get meaninful
messages from schema-driven syntax check, so that we can display them to
the user.

The benefits of this approach are IMO mutiple :
- runtime checks, offline checks and schema-driven editors use a single
definition of the sitemap grammar,
- since this grammar becomes an integral part of the sitemap engine, it
ensures its consistency and long-term maintainance.

Deal ?

Sylvain