cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: Jetty performance....
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:50:15 GMT
Found this: http://www.caucho.com/support/resin-interest/0211/0241.html

Thought it might be interesting for others.  It was for me.  The last
paragraph was most interesting to me.

"/All in all, I think that Jetty, Resin and Tomcat must all be getting /
pretty close to terminal /velocity for serving servlets. We are all
maxing out just under or over /
2000 servlet requests /a second on my hardware - I doubt there is much
scope of going much beyond /
that and I don't /think we'll see 3000 unless I get a new network :-)"/
//
//The discussion moves on to talk about optimizations related to flush()
et al with the general thoughts being that Resin is somewhere between
slightly faster to much faster than Jetty.  Note: Resin mailing list.

Now then, with output of 2000 requests a second, how much do you really
worry about the implementation of the service() method?  Wouldn't time
be better spent profiling your XSLT and tweaking Cocoon's cache lookup
algorithms?  It just seems to me that once requests become a
sufficiently small number given the fraction

  engine overhead / Cocoon processing

does it matter that much?  If someone can point me to where all logic
leading up to the service() method is approaching the processing time of
after Cocoon's service() method is called, I'd be very interested
indeed.  As it stands, splitting up your sitemap into multiple
subsitemaps (for example) so that the number of matches is reduced would
be a greater boon to performance.

For me, the simplicity of Jetty is a boon to me.  (Thank you Stefano and
Pier for encouraging me to look at it.)  However, has anyone else tried
to compile 4.2.x from source?  The binary download works fine, but
default build environment seems hosed to me.  Antonio is definitely
right about the lack of complete documentation right away.

- Miles